Geothermal energy use in Algeria: A review on the current status compared to the worldwide, utilization opportunities and countermeasures


Lebbihiat N., Atia A., ARICI M. , Meneceur N.

Journal of Cleaner Production, cilt.302, 2021 (SCI Expanded İndekslerine Giren Dergi) identifier

  • Yayın Türü: Makale / Derleme
  • Cilt numarası: 302
  • Basım Tarihi: 2021
  • Doi Numarası: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2021.126950
  • Dergi Adı: Journal of Cleaner Production

Özet

© 2021 Elsevier LtdThe main objective of this review paper is to present the historical development, current utilization, practices and opportunities of geothermal energy in Algeria. Algeria has relatively abundant geothermal resources of low-enthalpy type that could form part of the total energy network of the country. Algeria is the leading country of the direct use of geothermal energy in Africa with a total amount reaching 54.64 MWt installed thermal power, and also among the first five countries in the world in air conditioning application. The main utilization field of geothermal energy in Algeria is balneology, which accounts for about 82% of the total geothermal power utilization, the remaining 18% of the energy is consumed for other purposes such as space heating, heat pumps and fish farming. In this study, the existing literature and current practices of the Algeria's geothermal resources are reviewed and it is revealed that geothermal energy development remained almost stagnant over the past two decades in Algeria although there is a large potential and resources available in the country. Furthermore, geothermal energy use and latest technologies around the world have been summarized. This study elucidates the influencing factors in the development of geothermal energy in Algeria and suggests the development roadmap and a number of measures that can enhance the development of this significant energy source.