Influence of annealing duration on the erosive wear behavior of polyphenylenesulphide composites


Yılmaz T.

JOURNAL OF MATERIALS SCIENCE, vol.45, pp.2381-2389, 2010 (Journal Indexed in SCI) identifier identifier

  • Publication Type: Article / Article
  • Volume: 45
  • Publication Date: 2010
  • Doi Number: 10.1007/s10853-009-4204-2
  • Title of Journal : JOURNAL OF MATERIALS SCIENCE
  • Page Numbers: pp.2381-2389

Abstract

The influence of annealing duration on the erosive wear behavior of short glass fiber (40% w/w) and CaCO3 mineral particulate (25% w/w)-short glass fiber (40% w/w) (total: 65% w/w) reinforced PPS composites has been characterized under various experimental conditions by differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) and erosion measurements. The erosive wear of the composites have been evaluated at different impingement angles (30, 45, 60, and 90A degrees) and at four different annealing periods (30, 60, 90, and 120 min). Increase in the total crystallization causes an improvement in the erosive wear properties of the samples. Annealing time controls the morphology by influencing the degree of crystallinity in the matrix and in the fiber-matrix interface. This formation restricts fiber-matrix debonding. There is no linear proportionality between annealing time and relative degree of crystallization. The results indicate that PPS composites show maximum in wear versus impact angle relation at 60A degrees confirming their semi-ductile failure behavior. The morphologies of eroded surface are examined by the scanning electron microscope.