NO SIGNIFICANT ALTERATION IN ADMISSIONS TO EMERGENCY DEPARTMENTS DURING RAMADAN


PEKDEMİR M. , ERSEL M., YILMAZ S. , Uygun M.

JOURNAL OF EMERGENCY MEDICINE, cilt.38, ss.253-256, 2010 (SCI İndekslerine Giren Dergi) identifier identifier identifier

  • Cilt numarası: 38 Konu: 2
  • Basım Tarihi: 2010
  • Doi Numarası: 10.1016/j.jemermed.2008.03.013
  • Dergi Adı: JOURNAL OF EMERGENCY MEDICINE
  • Sayfa Sayısı: ss.253-256

Özet

Background: Dietary and lifestyle changes during Ramadan may affect the appearance rate of emergency health problems or increase emergency department (ED) use. Objective: This study's aim was to investigate Ramadan's effects on ED use. Methods: The study group consisted of patients admitted to the ED during Ramadan, and the control group consisted of patients admitted during the 30-day period immediately after Ramadan. The study compared the daily number, diagnosis, and demographic and clinical characteristics of the two groups. Results: The study included 2079 patients. Of these, 1094 (52.6%) were admitted during Ramadan, and the remaining 985 (47.4%) formed the control group. The average number of patients admitted to the ED per day was 36.47 +/- 7.9 in the study group and 32.83 +/- 5.8 in the control group (p = 0.046). The two groups' demographic and clinical characteristics, such as age, sex, final diagnosis, admission times to ED, and diagnosis, were similar. Conclusions: Our results show that during Ramadan, the clinical features of patients admitted to the ED and the number of ED admissions for specific ailments did not change significantly. (C) 2010 Elsevier Inc.